Photo by Maria Baranova
Demon by Anton Rubinstein
The American Symphony Orchestra
Captured live at the
Richard B. Fisher Center for the Performing Arts,
SummerScape at Bard College
Back at Bard for another SummerScape production. This opera had an all-Russian cast featuring soprano Olga Tolkmit who we worked with last summer at Bard in Dimitri. Baritone Efim Zavalny had his American debut in the title role. Demon is performed a great deal in Russia, but is rarely performed in the West.
The staging and visual style were rich and included projections, fog, rose petals and large amounts of cloth material that flowed and shimmered with the music. The Pesvebi Georgian Dancers were outstanding and added a great deal of excitement to each sequence they were in.
- Stage Director, Thaddeus Strassberger
- American Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Leon Botstein
- Directed for the screen by Bruce Bryant
- Set Design by Paul Tate dePoo III
- Lighting design by JAX Messenger